Monday, June 6, 2011

Beaming.

I seriously can not believe my little sister is graduating from high school. We are eight years apart in age, but she carries herself with an air of confidence and dignity that many women learn much, MUCH later on in their lives (if at all). Ever since she was born she's been my inspiration.

Long before I had my own babies, I had my sister to help raise. I took care of her from the day my parents brought her home from the hospital. I made it my mission to make sure she had everything she needed to succeed.

As she grew older, we stopped being just sisters and became best friends. I brought her everywhere with me. When I went to Foss, I brought her with me to my extracurriculars as often as I could. I didn't want to just leave her bored at home. I think she was only seven the first time she helped out in ASB. Then, there were the cheer clinics and carwashes. Yep, she was there with me too. Washing tires and standing on the sidewalk with a car wash sign!

When I was old enough, I chaperoned tons of her field trips and dances. I even took her and her fabulous group of friends to their first homecoming at Foss. Then treated the entire group to Ihop afterwards! There wasn't anything I wouldn't do.

The event that really pushed her to greatness was my moving to California. I broke the situation down for her and told her it was what I needed to do. It was the hardest thing to leave her behind, but I knew it would only make her stronger. Her friends are amazing, and I knew they would have her back after I left. I was SO right.

I try my hardest not to preach or tell her what she should or should not do with her life. I am supportive no matter what, but if she's going down the wrong path, of course I'll let her know. Tactfully, making sure I allow the final decision to be made by her alone. Works every time.

We have an amazing relationship. I've never seen her as someone below me. We've always been equals. I am so proud of her and the extremely LONG list of accomplishments she has under her belt, and she isn't even 18 yet.

She has become a true inspiration for my children, both academically and socially. I couldn't ask for anything more in a sibling.

No comments:

Post a Comment