Sunday, June 5, 2011

THAT Mom's Guide to Flying With Your Kids

Up, up, here we go!

If there's one thing I've become a pro at, it's flying solo with my kids. I've been back and forth from SoCal to Washington a number of times with them already. Four times to be exact (the first time I was 6 months preggo, so that definitely still counts!) Here are my top tips when flying solo with your kids:

Do your research: Visit the TSA website (http://www.tsa.gov/) before your trip and read up on the latest air travel rules and regulations, especially if you haven't flown with your kids before, or if it's been a while since your last flight. Also, don't hesitate to call the customer service number your airline has provided you if you have any specific questions.

Documents: Have your ID ready, along with copies of the kids' birth certificates when you're checking in. You'll need to present your tickets and ID again at security, and again of course, before boarding the plane. Also be prepared for some Q and A by the airport staff. They will quiz you about your kids to make sure they're really yours. 

Stroller: I used one when Leah was younger and I had a lot more stuff to haul. First time flying with both kids, I brought my MacLaren double. Second time with both kids, just a single. I made Janin walk. This time around, I  skipped the stroller all together. It's such a nightmare going through security with one. My kids can walk now and Leah hates sitting in it anyway.

If you DO need to bring a stroller, you CAN use it within the airport. But the downside to this is that you DO have to unload everything, fold, and stuff it into an x-ray machine at the security check (nightmare). Once you make it past security though, it's great! Your airline will check the stroller in for you once you're ready to board the plane and have it ready right when you get off. Pretty nice deal. You CAN also check it in with your baggage (double joggers especially) if you don't really need to have it in the airport.

Carseats: No point in bringing a carseat on board for your child to sit in. They have to be airline approved anyway, and not all are. Check it in with your baggage. There should NOT be an additional charge for this, but some airline companies are sneaky. Southwest and JetBlue have no fees, for sure. Check the details of your airline in advance so you don't end up with any expensive surprise fees.

Distractions: Definitely a must. Bring tons of stuff to occupy the kids while on the plane. I bring workbooks and new pens/pencils, because where else are my kids going to sit still for two hours? I have their complete and undivided attention. Time to learn something! Small toys, electronics, special yummy treats, and stickers are also nice to have on board. I made them each a special little bag with their own goodies in it this time. I totally recommend it. Reduces bickering! I also sneak their favorite stuffed animals in my bag for some extra cuddly comfort during the flight.

Bring their earphones. Especially if you fly with Jetblue or any other airline with a tv on the headrests. They charge $2 for a set now. Lame.

Snacks: Pack your own. Airport food is expensive. No juice boxes or other liquids of course (I think there's an exception for breastmilk and formula, but be sure to check). And be prepared for security to search and test your baby food and bottles, if you bring them. I've seen it happen.
Also, bring empty sippy cups! I always make sure to pack a cup for each kid. Less chance of a messy accident during the flight. Trust me. You'll thank me later.

Security: Always a slow point. Especially if you have tons of baby stuff with you. I always make sure my electronics are easily accessible (they ask that all be pulled out and put in a bin by themselves). I'll use a big freezer bag to keep them in (cell phone, cameras, gaming systems, etc), making it super easy to grab. Shoes must come off, so make sure to pick ones that are easy to take off and put back on. Jackets, sweaters, and even flannel shirts must come off. Last time we flew, security searched Janin, my 4 year old son, because he was wearing a flannel shirt. They don't play. If your child DOES end up being searched, watch them like a hawk. I'll be damned if anyone touches my kids, but if it must be done, please believe I will make sure it's done respectfully.

Make sure everyone goes potty and/or gets a fresh diaper BEFORE boarding the plane. Tiny bathrooms are such a pain. And some airlines don't even have changing tables.

Hand sanitizer and wipes: I wipe down everything when we get to our seats. I don't like germs.

My number one tip: ALWAYS ALLOW PLENTY OF TIME BEFORE YOUR FLIGHT! You never know what kind of delays to expect, especially if you have kids with you. This is especially true during holidays, when airport congestion is at it's worst. We nearly missed our flight home when we were out in WA for Christmas because there were just too many cars and people everywhere. Save yourself a HUGE headache and get there about an hour and a half early. I can not stress this enough. Be early.

I hope this helps if any of you are planning on flying this summer with the kids. Mine always have a great time going on the plane. Remember, this is an exciting time for most children. If you're well prepared, Supermom, you will ALL have a great trip. Happy flying!

Bon voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment