Friday, November 5, 2010

Janin's SUPER 4th Birthday!


Super Janin!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I LIVE for birthday parties! The inspiration for Janin's party theme came from the Yo Gabba Gabba Superhero episode, where all the Gabbas (and Mos Def) dressed up as their own heroes!

DJ Lance, Muno, Brobee, and "Super Mr. Superhero" Mos Def
I loved the concept of everyone being their own Superhero, and pretty much just ran with it. I knew I didn't want to make party bags, because those can get pricey and kids don't really remember the stuff that comes inside them anyway. I wanted Janin's guests to leave with a really cool party favor, so I decided to make capes!

Star, very stylish with matching boots and cape, and Janin!
The capes were a HUGE hit! I ended up making 10 pink, 7 blue, 7 red, and 4 green capes. Oh and baby capes for the little girls!

Leah in her blingy baby cape.
I wanted to be as cost effective as possible for the party, so I baked all of Janin's cupcakes and minis for the party myself. I am a BIG believer in "semi-homemade" cooking (Sandra Lee from the Food Network is my idol), so I grabbed a few boxes of cake mix (two vanilla bean and one box of chocolate) from Trader Joe's and called it good. They have amazing cake mixes and a new boxed chocolate frosting there.

SO easy to make AND ridiculously cute! Plus, they tasted good too.
All I did to make them festive was hot glue some superhero stickers to toothpicks. I made sure to trim the point off before sticking them in the cupcakes too. Easiest way to avoid accidents!

For centerpieces I got a few superhero buckets from the Dollar Spot at Target (I got SUPER lucky that they had superhero stuff in there while I was planning this party) and hot glued more stickers to BBQ skewers. I stuffed some tissue in the bucket and arranged the superheroes accordingly. I then hot glued them into place.


Janin's "J" shirt was also beyond easy to make. I cut out a "J" and the Superman shape and stitched them onto a plain shirt.


I'll keep adding pics and commentary as I think of more things to share with you all! In the meantime, here's more pictures! Part one (Thanks Alison!) and these are pictures taken by Sam Sim.

2 comments:

  1. It was such a fun party and you are so creative and crafty. I still have my pink cape here. I actually thought about being a Super Hero this past Halloween, thanks to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is Fantastic. The adults can finally live their dreams. The cake and cape look great!

    ReplyDelete