Sunday, February 27, 2011

Project April.

I am SO happy to report to everyone that my friend and super mama April V is expected to make a FULL recovery from the stroke and the following 3 1/2 hour neuro surgery she underwent at the UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center late Friday night. My family and I went to visit her on Saturday and she looked as if nothing had even happened to her. What a miracle. Thank you to everyone who said a prayer for my friend as it clearly made a huge difference in the outcome of her story.

This terrifying event in our lives was really a life changing and eye-opening experience for me. April is a healthy, young, energetic, active mother. Just like me. Our kids share the same interests and hang out together all the time. When I found out April was in the hospital for having a stroke, I was beside myself with fear. All I could think was: "What if this had happened to me? Who would take care of my kids?" and "But she was JUST at my house! She was JUST fine! Why is this happening?"

I knew I had to get a hold of myself. I channeled the fear I felt about April's situation into an idea. This past Friday I started Project April (#ProjectApril on Twitter) in an attempt to help offset the medical costs I knew April would incur from this hospital stint. I was determined to make something happen for my friend. Moms have to stick together. I set up a listing for those shirts I told you all I was going to sell on Etsy for April. And once she's feeling up to it maybe we'll even hear from April herself about the stroke and recovery period.

In the meantime, I beg for everyone to see April's stroke as a lesson that life is not something one should ever take for granted. You are not guaranteed to live a certain number of years on this earth. Don't be afraid to take that crazy chance or go out on that very far, and ridiculously unstable limb. If it means failing a couple times, so be it. Growth and learning derive from failure. At least, that's how it is for me.

Thank you all again for your show of support. I know April truly appreciates it.

No comments:

Post a Comment